Philip Hallstrom

On 2005-05-02, RonB wrote:
I would recommend spending some time understanding what you want to do with
the shop and machines and carefully selecting equipment to meet that end.

Ah... now you've got me in a pickle :-) There are *tons* of things I
want to do! Wooden toys for my kid, jewelry boxes for the wife,
bandsaw boxes for friends, bowls (already have a litte lathe), kitchen
island, cabinet for the tv... and the list goes on

I got a lot of use out of a simple disk sander well before I owned a
stationary belt or spindle sander. The disk does a lot of things well
including light blade dressing you mention. I get the most use from lightly
smoothing miter cut surfaces prior to joining.

The spindle came along last when I started working with more curved surfaces
and sculpting. Now I am considering a hand-held drum for similar purposes.

I can see a use for a disc/belt sander as well as a spindle right off
the bat (for the toys at the very least), just having difficulty
understanding the advantage b/n the disc (either horizontal or vertical)
and a disc sander.

Come to think of it... I don't think I've ever seen norm use anything
other than his long belt sander or his spindle sander, but then again
he's usually smoothing table legs or headboards or the like and then it
makes sense.

Again, concentrate your time and starting cash on basics - The best
tablesaw, jointer, surface planer, clamps and key hand tools you can afford
Wise investment here will pay dividends forever.

Agreed... I've got that list pretty well down, just trying to round out
the initial list... like to have all my lists in a row you know

Thanks!

-philip