julvr

Default Foundation Woes

Our house has two cracks in the foundation -- one on either side of
the garage. One of the cracks is vertical around a centimeter wide,
and is causing the brickwork above to crack. The other crack is on a
diagnal, but much smaller. We had a guy come in and look at it, and
he thinks it's ad-freezing (sp?). He said we would likely have to
escavate the perimiter of the garage, which includes digging up part
of the driveway, walkway, etc. This would cost lots of $14-20K.

Our neighbour says that we should just epoxy the the bricks back
together, and not worry about it to much, because the cracks in the
foundation are not near to our basement, so there's no real
consiquence to doing this.

I've also done the math, and the cost of redoing the brickwork is a
lot less than the interest that we would have to pay on a loan of
$14K in one year. If I redid the brickwork every second for the next
five years, and THEN redid the foundation, I would actually be saving
money.

I was wondering how critical it is to fix this issue right away --
will it get much more expensive as time progresses, or can I turn a
blind eye to it fora while?

John