ng_reader

Default Hanging an interior door

I went to the Depot the other day, waited 3 weeks for my custom interior
door with frame, and decided one day to install it into my bathroom.

I guess the trick is to make it plumb and square?

That's some freaking trick, I'll tell you.

After installing the door, and not having it fit, I called the 800# for
Premdor of Canada, the manufacturer. It's actually Masonite, a company I'm
sure you've all heard of.

They must have a pretty busy call center up there, cause I could tell the
gal I was talking to was

1) under educated
2) over worked
3) somewhat stressed
4) likely underpaid

However --- insightful, she was.

Tack the top hinge corner, then shim the frame till it's plumb and square.

Maybe I needed a second person. Maybe I needed a better level. (Is there
really a difference in my plastic 5' level?)

So I ended up removing material, from where the door *didn't* fit, painted
it up, and it didn't fit **again**.

The company rep told me to get a qualified contractor. ********, I said.

She also told me if it's not plumb and square the first time - I'm screwed
for life. A real horror story.

My question is:

Is that true, will it get worse over time?

Is there a trick to understanding what the MAGIC words plumb and square
mean?

The door was a bargain, or at least I kinda though so.

I'd like to replace 4 more, but I don't have the funds, nor am I sure the
patience, and definitely NOT the skills.