Kaiser

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message
news:1114635656.816ed00d683a52da9acef964a66ac677@t eranews...
On a sunny day (Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:48:01 +0100) it happened "Mary
Fisher"
wrote in
:

"Lars" wrote in message

Today I touched the outside of the lampshade and got a sort of vey
mild tingle feeling which felt "odd". When I used a mains tester
screwdriver on the exposed metal (at the joint of the lampshade
and support arm) then it glowed as if the metal of the Anglepoise
lamp was live.

We have an Art Deco brass lamp which I can feel 'tingling'or 'trembling'
when I touch the base or the stem. The wiring has been checked and
renewed
several times and it still happens - and Spouse is absolutely thorough
about
doing a good job mainly to prove me wrong because he can't feel it. I can
still feel it.

I could also, once upon a time, feel the same thing from a metal electric
kettle and nobody else could. The kettle was taken away by the first
child
to go to university. Over the years we lost all our electric kettles like
that which is why we're left with an ancient copper one on the gas hob,
it
used to be used by Spouse's grandmother on their coal fire. But that's a
different story.

It's not a shock and it can only be felt with the lightest possible
touch -
but it's very definitely there and can only be sensed when the lamp is
plugged in and the outlet switch is on. The lamp itself doesn't have to
be
lit.

I've never suffered and I doubt that the OT will either. If he were going
he would have done by now.

Mary

It is a common case, and possibly capacitive coupling between the hot
wire
and the metal frame (if no isolation problem).
The responsible things to do is use a 3 lead mains cable and plug, and
connect
the ground to the metal frame.
Problem solved.

Nope. That's what Spouse said. It now has that (he did it) and there's no
change..

In that case it may be advisable to check that your 13amp socket has a good
earth.