bz

"Mary Fisher" wrote in
. net:

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message
news:1114635656.816ed00d683a52da9acef964a66ac677@t eranews...
On a sunny day (Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:48:01 +0100) it happened "Mary
Fisher" wrote in
:

"Lars" wrote in message

Today I touched the outside of the lampshade and got a sort of vey
mild tingle feeling which felt "odd". When I used a mains tester
screwdriver on the exposed metal (at the joint of the lampshade
and support arm) then it glowed as if the metal of the Anglepoise
lamp was live.

We have an Art Deco brass lamp which I can feel 'tingling'or
'trembling' when I touch the base or the stem. The wiring has been
checked and renewed several times and it still happens - and Spouse is
absolutely thorough about
doing a good job mainly to prove me wrong because he can't feel it. I
can still feel it.

I could also, once upon a time, feel the same thing from a metal
electric kettle and nobody else could. The kettle was taken away by the
first child to go to university. Over the years we lost all our
electric kettles like that which is why we're left with an ancient
copper one on the gas hob, it used to be used by Spouse's grandmother
on their coal fire. But that's a different story.

It's not a shock and it can only be felt with the lightest possible
touch -
but it's very definitely there and can only be sensed when the lamp is
plugged in and the outlet switch is on. The lamp itself doesn't have to
be lit.

I've never suffered and I doubt that the OT will either. If he were
going to
he would have done by now.

Mary

It is a common case, and possibly capacitive coupling between the hot
wire and the metal frame (if no isolation problem).
The responsible things to do is use a 3 lead mains cable and plug, and
connect
the ground to the metal frame.
Problem solved.

Nope. That's what Spouse said. It now has that (he did it) and there's
no change..

Then it is probably not being plugged into a properly grounded outlet.

At the very least, you should have him install a GFI outlet in the place
that the lamp is used. Better is to make sure that the safety ground on
the outlet really has a good, low impedence run to the main breaker box.

Of course, he may have failed to properly connect the safety ground to the
metal parts of your lamp.

--
bz

infinite set.