Ken Weitzel

Tanya wrote:
hi,
(hope this question is ok for this ng)
i have 2 old ( 5 y/o) scanners (umax and ibm (parallel)) which have not
been used for several years.
they both scan well HOWEVER in both cases, the results have a yellow
tint (as though there was a yellow filter)
(they are on different pcs)
does anyone know how to *fix* this? (even a cleaning solution?)
(they are WAY out of warranty)
thank you

Hi Tanya...

Photography has been my lifelong hobby (and I'm real old

Scanned tons of old photos, negatives and slides for
archiving and sharing with family members with flatbeds,
dedicated scanners, and even a drum scanner. Having said
all that, take my advice with a grain of salt

I'd like to suggest that with two scanners producing a
yellow cast it's not the scanners at all, but rather
calibration of your monitor. (keep in mind that no matter
what the quality of your scanner, scans *will* need some
touch up afterwards anyway)

Several ways to check. Take one of your scans to a friend
or neighbor; have a look at it on their monitor. Or take
one of your scans, burn it to a dvd and look at it on your
television set.

If all that is difficult then send me an email. I'll be
happy to send you a couple of scans. Small compressed jpeg's,
perhaps one straight from the scanner and a second copy of the
same after touch-up. That way you'll know for sure

Take care.

Ken