Lew Hodgett

Norm Dresner says...

During a move I broke one of the wooden legs of a (circa 1940) wooden desk
right where the round turned leg was attached to the square top that forms
the corners of the case. Of course it's not a clean break, though it's not
that jagged either, and I can fit the two halves together by hand quite
closely.

The easiest approach if I were doing the job would be microballoon
thickened epoxy.

Mask of the areas where you don't want the epoxy and go for it.

I can see absolutely no reason why you would want to take this repair
apart, so don't understand the hide glue approach.

As far as any kind of a mechanical aid approach such as a dowel, I
wouldn't go there.

No matter how you approach doweling for this job, you will never get it
perfectly aligned.

Close, yes, but perfect, no.

BTW, the epoxy will be the strongest repair you can make.

Lew