Kevin

If I remember correctly several SE Asian countries did let their currencies
float back in the 80s (Korea?Thailand?) rather than pegging them to the
dollar. Result? Collapse. Not all that good of an idea for the country.
Now, IF they (China) can develop to the point where there is some faith in
its economy, a floating exchange could be good. This assumes that the
government is willing to change. Perhaps this will be the case in another
generation.

-Kevin
"CW" wrote in message
nk.net...
One of the biggest problems with China right now is that the Chinese
government is artificially suppressing the value of their money in order

flood the world with Chinese products and force everyone else out of the
market. This is not highly publicized but is well known to (our)

government.
They are threatening trade sanctions if this doesn't cease. The Chinese,

of
course, are claiming that the big, bad US is just being mean. Listen to
Chinese radio to hear them whine about it. If their currency was allowed

inflate naturally (as it would), there would come a time when Chinese
production would loose a lot of it's appeal to American importers, just as
happened with Japan, and to a lesser extent, Taiwan.

"Leon" wrote in message
m...
Again CW, you hit the nail on the head.

"CW" wrote in message
nk.net...
Not necessarily. Back when "made in Japan" meant junk, I lived in

Japan.
was amazed at the quality of the products you could buy there, every

bit
as
good as anything made anywhere. Technology that was available to the
consumer was far higher there than in the US. The reason for the

cheap,
poorly made junk coming out of China is that is what they (American
importers) are buying. They are going there for low end junk that they

can
sell here at a great profit. If they wanted, they could buy excellent
quality products but, of course, they would be higher priced and not

as
profitable. Don't think made in China parts are going to destroy the
company. If the quality goes down because of it, blame the company,

not
the
Chinese (there's lots of other things to blame them for).
A Concerned Woodworker wrote in message
Oh well, another
quality tool down the crapper !!!