James Main

I used what appears to be the same material from Woodcraft-the outer plies
are impregnated with Phenolic resin-giving it a green color and very slick.
However-the price is up there, I believe mine were $40 for a 2x4x3/4 pc.
There is a 1/16" sag-probably from it being stored incorrectly for a long
period of time. (When I picked it up-it was dusty-not saw dusty) So I assume
it does not sell all that well. Having said all that-I made two "gussets" or
stiffeners that go underneath and have flattened it very nicely. having no
problems with it, work slides nicely, apparently will wear like iron-no
marks on it as of yet. I sealed the edges of it with shellac and then two
coats of epoxy paint-so it should remain stable. If you can get it in sizes
bigger then 2x4 I would use it. As everything else in this hobby of
ours-there are 1000 problems, then 1000 different solutions by 1000
different people-and everyone of us swears that we have the one and only
true solution. better to just do something for yourself, enjoy it and move
forward. Good luck in your quest