Hax Planx

BillyBob says...

I think their prices are too high. I'd be hard pressed to see any
differences between their vise hardware and Veritas. How in the world do
they justify $35 for a round bench dog when Lee Valley gets $9.95 for one
that is excellent quality. I'd also take the Lee Valley twin screw vise at
$179 over their chain drive shoulder vise at $258 any day.

Bob

Actually, there are some differences in the bench dogs. The L-N dogs
are much longer and that is $35 for a pair. It is $18.50 for a pair at
LV. Also, if you buy Veritas tools retail, they will cost a lot more
than at the LV web site. I have found the prices to vary wildly. L-N
is selling their tools on their web site at retail prices, presumably so
that dealers like Woodcraft will continue to stock them. If you could
get it direct from L-N for a much lower price, dealers wouldn't be
happy. You could say the same thing applies to LV, but I haven't in
fact ever seen their planes sold retail. I suggested to a shop owner
just the other day that he should carry Veritas planes and he said he
couldn't get them. Moreover, I WON'T be buying any more Veritas tools
retail, because I know now I can get them much cheaper from LV.