George

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
During a move I broke one of the wooden legs of a (circa 1940) wooden

desk
right where the round turned leg was attached to the square top that forms
the corners of the case. Of course it's not a clean break, though it's

not
that jagged either, and I can fit the two halves together by hand quite
closely.

I'm intending to repair the break by drilling for and inserting a metal
"dowel" of some sort as a strength member between the two pieces. I have

an
older 3/8" drill mounted in a portable drillpress which I'm pretty sure

can
be used to drill the hole into the case part along the axis of the leg

quite
accurately. But I have no lathe and I don't see a good way to align the
hole in the tapered rounded leg axially.

At least one aspect will be in perpetual shadow, won't it? How about gluing
up, groove in the hidden side, reinforcement inserted.