Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Eddie Kee wrote:
I am going to build a workshop this spring and move out of the basement. I
am planning a 30 x 40 building with 9 foot ceilings. My big concern is the
floor. I would like a wood floor and not concrete. I was thinking at first
of having an insulated slab pured and then placing placing wood 2x anchored
to the concrete and then plywood and oak on top. I have 1000's bf of
airdried oak that I will use for the final floor. Then the though accoured
to me to just pour colums and build a joist floor system out of treated
lumber. Filling between the joists with gravel, placing a vapor barrier
down and then plywood with the oak finish on tope. Any thoughts. I want to
make sure the critters have a hard time getting in since we live out in the
sticks and that is the reason for the gravel between the joists. The
building will be heated. Any thoughts or questions would be approciated.

Eddie

First things first. Even if you don't have "building code" requirements
to satisfy, you don't want to put untreated wood "close" to the ground.
How close is 'close' does vary by climate/locale -- you'll need to consult
local expertise. That said, something in the range of a couple of feet
is common, in _non-termite_ territory.

If you don't want to go slab-on-ground, consider a real raised floor, _over_
_a_crawl-space_. *Much* easier to inspect, and to do repairs on, *IF* needed.

Note: you _really_ want the ceiling higher than 9'. Measure the diagonal
of a 4'x8' sheet-good, and you'll understand why. *Especially* if you
have occasion to deal with any of the 'oversize' 49"x97" stuff.

9'6" is a good minimum, more if you'll have surface-mount lighting.