J T

Mon, May 2, 2005, 4:56am (EDT+4) (Michael=A0Daly)
The Vikings had made it at least as far as Constantinople. I would have
guessed they had seen the kamal.

Probably. But, as I understand it, a kamea was used to determine
star positions. Sun compass and kamal were supposedly developed around
the same time, anyway. Both used to determine latitude. Basically,
they would head north, or south, until they got to the latitude of their
destination, then turn, and sail to it - simple, effective. Longitude
wasn't able to be accurately determined until the 17th century.

JOAT
A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.
- Brander Matthews