On Sun, 01 May 2005 05:52:22 -0500, Wayne Cook
wrote:

On Sun, 01 May 2005 16:37:30 +1200, Tom wrote:

Wayne Cook wrote:

On Sun, 01 May 2005 11:29:56 +1200, Tom wrote:

You're talking about the Mega-fire ignition. I've used them in the
past and didn't like the results. They're ok if you're good and strong
but they take a lot faster spin of the engine to give spark than
either a points ignition (takes the least) or a true electronic coil.
If you scroll down that same page you'll see what I mean about coil
prices.

I've worked on small engines professionally for going on 25 years
now and I get to order the coils at dealer pricing. But I still have
to get retail for them to make any money and even after market coils
list for at least $35 for the cheapest.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Actually I wasn't specifically meaning Mega Fire, I'd never heard
of them until today. I bought a generic module that requires just
a gentle pull to fire up my mower. It is only about 5/32" thick so
a lot smaller than the Mega-Fire. Original lasted about 15 years.

The Mega Fire isn't much bigger than that if I remember correctly.
What you used is just a copy of a Mega Fire. They where the first that
I know of.

As for the gentle pull you have qualify that. A gentle pull for you
could be unachievable by some old lady. I can make a points ignition
fire every time by just flipping the flywheel by hand. A proper
electronic coil can be made to fire that way as well but it's not as
reliable. A add on electronic like you're talking about won't even
start to. In fact experimenting with the ones I did install showed
that the rope had to be pulled at least twice as fast when compared to
a proper electronic coil.

If you want to add on electronics to a coil I recommend using Briggs
method which was a module that slipped on the coil with a hall effect
sensor. These essentially turn a points coil into the same thing as a
modern electronic coil. In fact they where how Briggs first came out
with electronic ignitions. However I doubt they came be purchased
anymore. At least I haven't tried in years now.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

The add-on unit I installed on my old tiller engine(which I no longer
own) would spark reliably enough to start on the second pull virtually
every time, and it did not take any more of a pull than the original
point ignition. The only thing that would make it easier to start
would be battery ignition.
It started at least as easily as the mower with factory "magnetronic"
ignition.