Peter, While posted to Northern Japan with the US Forces I turned a
form of Japanese Cedar. Very soft. Hoever the most interesting thing I
turned was something they called "Y-E-CON" I don't know the proper
spelling. It is very close to the Mesquite I turn here in Texas. They
use it for cross members on electric power lines. I was told because it
does not rot. I was in an area with much snow and the holes drilled
for mounting would fill with water and freeze. When the power co. would
replace split timber because of freezing I would collect the discarded
sections. It dulls tools quickly but turnes and finishes beautifully.
It is redish brown in color.
Hope this helps.
Bob Edwards, San Antonio