Bill Rubenstein

A scam -- isn't that always the way. I saw some boards which had been
kiln dried and the guy who dried it said that it dried quickly and
without any defect problems. But it was soft, light in color, light
weight and not at all distinguished in any way. Also, because of its
quick growing characteristics, it could very easily crowd out native
species. The comparison to kudsu is appropriate -- another failed
botanical experiment.

Bill

Glenn wrote:
George wrote:

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
om...

There have been several attempts to grow this commercially in the

US.

I've heard of a project somewhere in Georgia, I think, and I've

seen a

small project in Southern Illinois. It grows incredibly fast --

more

like a weed than a tree.

Grows almost as fast as Kudzu?

The Paulownia tree project was started in my home county. I think it
was mostly a scam, the people that sold the young seedlings to farmers
charged big prices, and promised big returns. The mature trees were to
be sold to pulp and paper companies, but the farmers say they are not
able to find a market for the trees. I am only telling you what
neighbors have told me. When the trees are harvested you do not have
to replant them they will regrow from the existing roots of the cut
tree. Sounds to good to be true, right? The wood is cream colored and
has a hole in the center of the tree about the size of a fifty cent
piece. One of the buyers is now a judge in the superior court, big
headache for the sellers.
Nashville, GA