Wayne Cook

On Sun, 01 May 2005 16:37:30 +1200, Tom wrote:

Wayne Cook wrote:

On Sun, 01 May 2005 11:29:56 +1200, Tom wrote:

You're talking about the Mega-fire ignition. I've used them in the
past and didn't like the results. They're ok if you're good and strong
but they take a lot faster spin of the engine to give spark than
either a points ignition (takes the least) or a true electronic coil.
If you scroll down that same page you'll see what I mean about coil
prices.

I've worked on small engines professionally for going on 25 years
now and I get to order the coils at dealer pricing. But I still have
to get retail for them to make any money and even after market coils
list for at least $35 for the cheapest.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Actually I wasn't specifically meaning Mega Fire, I'd never heard
of them until today. I bought a generic module that requires just
a gentle pull to fire up my mower. It is only about 5/32" thick so
a lot smaller than the Mega-Fire. Original lasted about 15 years.

The Mega Fire isn't much bigger than that if I remember correctly.
What you used is just a copy of a Mega Fire. They where the first that
I know of.

As for the gentle pull you have qualify that. A gentle pull for you
could be unachievable by some old lady. I can make a points ignition
fire every time by just flipping the flywheel by hand. A proper
electronic coil can be made to fire that way as well but it's not as
reliable. A add on electronic like you're talking about won't even
start to. In fact experimenting with the ones I did install showed
that the rope had to be pulled at least twice as fast when compared to
a proper electronic coil.

If you want to add on electronics to a coil I recommend using Briggs
method which was a module that slipped on the coil with a hall effect
sensor. These essentially turn a points coil into the same thing as a
modern electronic coil. In fact they where how Briggs first came out
with electronic ignitions. However I doubt they came be purchased
anymore. At least I haven't tried in years now.