Ken Sterling

I have an older Briggs and Stratton 3.5hp engine on a lawn edger. I am
getting no spark. (has points, not elect. ign.)

I have removed the flywheel and I can visually detect no issue with the
points or any obvious shorts.

Any advice on how to test the magneto armature and the capacitor?

I don't mind buying the parts, but I hate to replace a part just to rule it
out.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Along with all the other good advice you've received...
Make sure the coil mounting screws and surfaces are clean and shiney.
The mounting of the armature is actually the ground and by cleaning up
the mounting screws/posts, you may get your spark back.
HTH
Ken.