Ladybodger Ladybodger is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wig
HI again,

I got the impression this is just a small retainer wall in a garden. No mention was made of nearby buildings or other.

The lack of mortar between the current stones would only make it possibly dangerous *if* the wall was initially built with mortar, if it was built without mortar initially then it is likely to be as strong today as the day it was built.

I would think any water behind the wall would just go "underneath" it into the lower bed.

The wall slants into the upper bed (as it should) and even if "facing" it were to trap water and cause collapse it would not "topple", it would "slump" without seeing the site, I doubt this would be dangerous.

Ladybodger, if you are concerned about trapped water....even if you are not concerned it would be good idea to either leave some areas along the base of the wall uncovered (i.e. no mortar and tiles on). OR you can put some plastic pipes through any current gaps you have in between stones before you build the face. FOr example if there is a gap between stones within the first 6-8 inches from the base of the wall. You might be able to first hit a stick through the gap then pull it out and push a plastic pipe through. Fill the end of the pipe which will be behind the wall with a piece of wire wool before you push it through - so it doesn't block up with soil. Use plastic (or copper) pipes depending on what you have lying around and depending on the size of the hole available to you. You could use for example 15mm plastic pipe or copper pipe, 22mm, 32mm 40mm even (given a big enough hole) a piece of old 60 - 70mm drain pipe.

Then face the wall working round these pipes, and cut them off flush afterwards.

Ladybodger, if the garden behind the wall keeps rising beyond 3ft, i.e. if it slopes upwards to a height of 6ft or more, then you should be more cautious. The wall you have has successfully retained whatever behind it for donkeys years, but a build up of water could change all that, hence, the weep holes are a good idea. The higher the ground is behind the wall the more concerned you need to be. If you are concerned just post back here a more indepth description of what you have.

I'd just like to thank everyone who's commented on this project. I've reviewed everything you've all said and I now probably realise why this is a dry wall in the first place. My garden is very, very steep and long, and this wall (together with another slightly further down) are the last in many tiers. So this makes me think about the whole drainage issue. I think for the interim I will replant with suitable wall clinging plants which will disguise it nicely, but will also let the water drain through - however if I change my mind at a later stage I will go down the weep holes advice.
Thank you all once again you've been a real big help.