N Cook

"Cobalt" wrote in message
you would have to open it up, and inside are some lenticular mirrors the
image bounces off of when its scanned. The mirrors likely have a mild dust
buildup on them, which results in 'filtering' the image to a very light
impression.

wrote in message
oups.com...

| I have a brother MFC-9600 Printer/Scanner/Photocopier/Fax comobo unit.
| Recently I found out the photocopy doesn't work right. It would
| produce a very light print out similar to a unit very low on toner.
|
| The unit has plenty of toner left and the laser printing unit is in
| perfect order as it makes good, black prints when I send a print job to
| it from my computer.
|
| The scanner also produces good contrast when I scan to computer from
| the unit.
|
| I checked copy settings such as "document type" and "contrast" from
| maximum to minimum, but the unit continues to produce very light
| prints. Since the scanning and printing units are both in good working
| order, I don't understand why photocopier function won't work
| correctly.
|
| Any clue?

Dirty optics leads to less light getting to the latent white
areas on the OPC, to neutralise the charge, and so toner
stays on the OPC leading to grey instead of white on the
paper.

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse
Copier repair hints