J. Clarke

Michael Daly wrote:

On 29-Apr-2005, Ed & Sue Beresnikow
wrote:

There is absolutely nothing I have seen that says I can not exceed
any building construction standards and requirements

But if you do not design a component to conform to standards, but merely
oversize the component, you can cause the structure to behave in a
manner that causes failure. Think especially in terms of statically
indeterminate cases, where load distribution is a function of stiffness.

If you overdesign a component but can show that the overdesign is not
a problem, then there is no risk. Columns in high rise buildings are
an example - you can design several stories to use the same column even
though the upper columns carry a lighter load. However, you have to
_design_ it that way.

So when was the last time a high rise building was constructed from 2x10s?

Mike

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate