chris French

Default PlasPlugs tile cutter?? What a load of pants

In message , Ben
writes
Hi all,

I'm currently tiling my bathroom with 8x10inch ceramic tiles. I'm a
tiling virgin so I thought I'd make life easier by investing in an
electric tile cutter - and to be honest it's the worst £30 I ever
spent.

I can't for the life of me seem to be able to cut the tiles straight
and true. All I want to do is cut about 15mm from the edge of the
tile.

I'm using the plastic guide thing that clips in and using the guide
along the bottom to set the width. Then I push the tile through as
slowly as I can with even pressure from behind. I thought about
putting a line down the tile where I want the cut and trying to guide
the tile with that. But this turned out to be useless as the line gets
covered by red muddy stuff from the tile which gets mixed in with the
water and thrown about by the blade.

I was very suprised to find nobody who is complaining about the same
problems. In fact most people seemt to think they are the best thing
since sliced bread.

I've never had any real problem with mine. :-)

If anyone has any ideas why I'm so rubbish at using this thing then
I'd be very grateful for the advice.

Hmm, not sure, what exactly is the problem, is it gradually running of
line , or is it at the end or what?

It sounds like the guide isn't staying set properly maybe? - on mine it
clamps at each end and once set doesn't move, is yours like that?
--
Chris French, Leeds