Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Bill

Yes a weed tree I would call it also, it is rather pretty though when
flowering and would not mind one in my garden, if I could keep it in
check, come to think off it maybe better in my neighbors garden G.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Bill Rubenstein wrote:
There have been several attempts to grow this commercially in the US.
I've heard of a project somewhere in Georgia, I think, and I've seen a
small project in Southern Illinois. It grows incredibly fast -- more
like a weed than a tree.

Bill

Leo Van Der Loo wrote:

Hi Robo

Paulownia tomentosa, also called Royal Paulownia, Princess tree,
Empress tree, is named for Anna Paulownia (1795-1865) of Russia, she
became princess of The Netherlands and is the ancestor of the the
present Queen Beatrix.
The tree is a native of China, the wood is very soft and white, and
the wood is exported to Japan for the making of special items like
sandals and some furniture items.
It is planted for ornamental reasons in the US , and also in Europe
where I am familiar whit it, doesn't grow where it is to cold in the
winter, none around up here in Ontario.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

robo hippy wrote:

Peter,
There is also the Royal Empress Tree, also called Paulownia. A father
would plant it when a daughter was born, and by the time she was of
marrying age, the tree would be ready to harvest. It is also used as
the sound board for a stringed instrument which I don't know the name
of. At this time of year, they have large purple flowers on them.
robo hippy