Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Robo

Paulownia tomentosa, also called Royal Paulownia, Princess tree, Empress
tree, is named for Anna Paulownia (1795-1865) of Russia, she became
princess of The Netherlands and is the ancestor of the the present Queen
Beatrix.
The tree is a native of China, the wood is very soft and white, and the
wood is exported to Japan for the making of special items like sandals
and some furniture items.
It is planted for ornamental reasons in the US , and also in Europe
where I am familiar whit it, doesn't grow where it is to cold in the
winter, none around up here in Ontario.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

robo hippy wrote:
Peter,
There is also the Royal Empress Tree, also called Paulownia. A father
would plant it when a daughter was born, and by the time she was of
marrying age, the tree would be ready to harvest. It is also used as
the sound board for a stringed instrument which I don't know the name
of. At this time of year, they have large purple flowers on them.
robo hippy