Don Young

Since copper will slowly dissolve in molten solder, this causes both pitting
of copper soldering tips and increased melting temperature of solder which
joins copper pipes. Too much heat makes it worse, as does long heating
times. The best technique is to heat the joint carefully just until the
solder melts, then separate the parts quickly.
Don Young
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

For 1/2" to 1 1/4" copper pipe fittings.

Possible to desolder *and* be able to re-use them??
Worth the trouble for the various fittings, T's, unions, etc? 1 1/4
unions are expensive!

Any special techniques beyond heating/wiping, heating/wiping? Wipe w/
cloth, steel wool? With, w/o flux?
I think I've done, mebbe once, and it was a pita!

I've done that many times. (If you asked SWMBO she would say of me, "Can
you spell c-h-e-a-p?")

On several occasions I found it extremely difficult to get the joints
apart, after they were heated to well above the melting point of soft
solder. Twisting a fitting while pulling on it to try and get it to come
off would produce a squeek like the door hinges from "Inner Sanctum".

I asked metallurgist about that and he told me it was due to the formation
of intermetallic compounds over time, which had a higher melting point
than solder.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia