Eric R Snow

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:46:15 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

I have an older Briggs and Stratton 3.5hp engine on a lawn edger. I am
getting no spark. (has points, not elect. ign.)

I have removed the flywheel and I can visually detect no issue with the
points or any obvious shorts.

Any advice on how to test the magneto armature and the capacitor?

I don't mind buying the parts, but I hate to replace a part just to rule it
out.

After reading all the other posts I have to agree with the solid state
ignition. But last summer I paid only 10 bucks for a generic one.
Works great. But before you do that, did you check to make sure the
points actually open and close? On the older Briggs engines with
points the little phenolic rod which rides on the cam ground into the
crankshaft can get stuck so that it won't move or will not move quite
enough to actually close the points. Make sure it is free.
ERS