Wayne Cook

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:46:15 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

I have an older Briggs and Stratton 3.5hp engine on a lawn edger. I am
getting no spark. (has points, not elect. ign.)

I have removed the flywheel and I can visually detect no issue with the
points or any obvious shorts.

Any advice on how to test the magneto armature and the capacitor?

I don't mind buying the parts, but I hate to replace a part just to rule it
out.

I recommend going to a solid state module as well but I disagree
with the price. They run between $35 and $45 depending.

On to the points. They must be extremely clean. Sometimes they look
ok but don't make contact. Also be sure that they go up and down. I
was into one the other day that the plunger was stuck.

There's no real good way of testing the coil. But if the points
check good then it must be the coil (unless the flywheel key was
sheared but you would of noticed that when taking off the flywheel).

If it is the coil then spend the extra to go with the solid state
one. There's not that much difference in price and they're much more
reliable than the points.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook