Jonathan

Lobster wrote:
Set Square wrote:

Jonathan wrote:

We knocked a wall though last year and had an RSJ put in as part of
that.

Should we have also had the work certified in some way? There was
something on the telly the other night about making it harder to sell
the house if structural alterations haven't been certified.

Yes! If it is structural, you should have got Building Regs approval
at the
time.

But all is not lost - you can get it 'regularised' retrospectively
provided
you can show that it has been done properly. Have a word with the
Building
Control department at your local council.

The key words being "provided you can show"... unless the BCO happens to
know the builder who installed it, and trusts that he fitted the correct
RSJ properly, isn't that likely to mean Building Control would want the
plaster pulling down in order to expose the RSJ?

I would have thought that at this stage the best option would be to keep
schtum, myself.

This is as I feared. I can't see how going to the BCO will mean much
else than them telling me to hack the plaster off so they can look at it.

I think that when it comes to selling the house (a long way off) then
we'll see if we need to get it approved. I assume there's no time limit
on such an approval?

Jonathan