Default Brother MFC-9600, photocopy is broken, I don't understand

I have a brother MFC-9600 Printer/Scanner/Photocopier/Fax comobo unit.
Recently I found out the photocopy doesn't work right. It would
produce a very light print out similar to a unit very low on toner.

The unit has plenty of toner left and the laser printing unit is in
perfect order as it makes good, black prints when I send a print job to
it from my computer.

The scanner also produces good contrast when I scan to computer from
the unit.

I checked copy settings such as "document type" and "contrast" from
maximum to minimum, but the unit continues to produce very light
prints. Since the scanning and printing units are both in good working
order, I don't understand why photocopier function won't work
correctly.

Any clue?