Gerald Miller

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:46:15 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

I have an older Briggs and Stratton 3.5hp engine on a lawn edger. I am
getting no spark. (has points, not elect. ign.)

I have removed the flywheel and I can visually detect no issue with the
points or any obvious shorts.

Any advice on how to test the magneto armature and the capacitor?

I don't mind buying the parts, but I hate to replace a part just to rule it
out.

Normally, I clean up the points with a small piece of very fine
wet/dry paper folded over to do both sides at one time, followed by
clean, dry plain paper to remove debris. I also apply one drop of
instrument oil to the cam follower plunger.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada