Boris Beizer

"Carl Hoffmeyer" wrote in message

"Boris Beizer" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Now that is something I would not think of, since what you are really
saying is that you can make flat surfaces. If you are making a flat
surface how do you decide whether to use the lathe or the mill?

difficult on either a lathe or a mill ... a keyway slot in a pulley is

the
first one that comes to mind --

snip

At that point you pull out a shaper :-)

The shaper guys owe me a thank you for giving them the straight line. The
only thing that keeps me from getting a shaper is the space. I'd have to
give up one of my mills to make room for the shaper.. but then having both a
horizontal and vertical mill, what do I need that drill press for?
Other than keyway slots and dovetails, the biggest advantage to the
hobbyist of a shaper is the ease of creating special bits .. which are
expensive for either horizontal or vertical mills unless you're willing to
use a fly cutter for everything.

Boris

Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting
1232 Glenbrook Road on Software Testing and
Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006 Quality Assurance

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" sprintmail.com