George

"Vince Way-Nee" wrote in message
I have turned for years with just glue blocks and face plates. I have
achieved good results but have reached the point where I'm thinking I will
succumb to the pressure and get a chuck. I turn primarily hollow forms

both
in dry and wet woods. In the wet woods I'm looking for something to hold

the
roughed out piece so that I can hog out the core to speed up the drying
process. The piece is then left to dry for a period of time with the
outside waxed. Once dry then I will remount it and finish it off. I have
always used the glue block method and have 15 to 20 pieces on the go at

any
one time. I'm thinking a new chuck may assist. Any suggestions on your
favourites?

I'm using Novas. Don't think there's a lot of functional difference in
chucks, just price.

For hollowing, it's tough to beat a big external dovetail. Since most
hollowing is done as a barely controlled catch, you want the security a
large shoulder mated to the jaws gives you. It's also very friendly after
drying, since end-grain distorts so little. Pieces seem to mount and true
with little effort.