DanG

I wrote correctly. Yes we have cut apart and disassembled more
than one valve.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"DanG" wrote in message

Our plumbers have gone to working the valves in the closed
position (this assumes new piping, no water or steam present)
with a wet rag on the valve. The imperfection that is created
is in the open position and the closed position is smooth and
functional.

Hi Dan,

Are you sure about the valve orientation that's causing the
leaking? What you've described seems counter-intuitive to me.

When a ball valve is open, then the smooth, solid, uninterrupted
sides of the chromed ball are against the Teflon seal. When a
ball valve is closed, then the through-hole of the ball is
pressing against the Teflon. If the Teflon were to get hot
enough to deform, then it would seem that it would be better to
have the smooth, uninterrupted sides of the ball pressing
against the Teflon, rather than the part of the ball with the
through-hole in it (which would allow for an impression of the
hole in the deformed Teflon seal).

Have you tried taking two ball valves apart (one heated with the
valve open and one heated with the valve closed) to examine the
seals and see what is causing the leakage that you've
encountered?

Regards,
Michael