DanG

We go through a lot of ball valves in a lot of sizes. We start to
find that if the ball valve was installed with the valve open, it
creates a very small imperfection that will seal ok when it is
new, but will not hold drip free with age. Our plumbers have gone
to working the valves in the closed position (this assumes new
piping, no water or steam present) with a wet rag on the valve.
The imperfection that is created is in the open position and the
closed position is smooth and functional.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Awl--

Hopefully my last plumbing Q! Man, am I buried here!

I have previously screwed up sweating ball valves, and frankly
don't see how the teflon seals withstand the heat, even with
"good technique", which mine most likely is not, given the rare
plumbing that I do.

So what I do is buy threaded ball valves, and separately sweat a
suitable length of copper pipe to copper adapters, screw those
in to the threaded valves, and continue sweating some safe
"thermal distance" from sed ball valve.
Sometimes I'll even use a union, depending...

Am I bein a wus?? Is there a more reliable way to sweat ball
valves?
I know there is some precedence for this, as I have seen sweat
valves w/ removable flange-type ends, presumably for just this
problem--but of course they cost big(ger) $$.

In general, I sort of mix threaded w/ copper, like for caps:
Instead of sweating a cap to a tee, I'll first sweat an adapter,
and then screw on a threaded cap--makes subsequent connections
easier, I think. I always found sweating previously-wet copper
"in line" a real pita.

Also, along the lines of ball valves, I noticed diff. 1/2
threaded valves have diff IDs!
Gas ball valves have the smallest, but a nice thumb-handle. Can
I use these for water, as well?
Water ball valves have the longer handle, but even these have
diff. IDs, which I find surprising. Any idears on why? Just
diff. mfrs?

A'ight, thanks! I hope this it, fer plumbing!!

Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll