T i m

Default d-i-y sliding steel double gate

Hi All,

I live on the end of a terrace with a garage at the bottom of the
shortish garden.

I have side access to the 'garden' (back yard) via a pair of wooden
gates on the ramains of some 9" square wooden posts. Fedup with seeing
9" square tannalized posts rotting off at the ground it what seems
like no time and with restricted room to 'swing' double gates I
thought of making / installing some sliding gates. The gates have
about a 12' span (I would have to drive in at an angle)

I had the chance to look over a set at a local steel fabricators and
it all looks pretty straight forward in construction.

The 'track' was (would be) a single (25') length of thick walled steel
tube (about 25 mm dia) that was tack welded to some steel rectangular
box section with perforated sides that get's set into the ground
(concrete) with the 'track' slightly above the surrounding surface.

There were concave faced nylon wheels set under each end of the gate
to keep it 'on-track'.

The 6" square steel posts are set infront of the track with rollered
guides above the gate to keep the gate upright as it is opened. They
also stop the gate being lifted off it's track when closed.

There was a stop on the gate to prevent it going past the second post
when open and another at the closed end that allows the gate to be
padlocked shut. I would probably also fit a drop bolt in the middle to
help prevent the gate being bent in the middle.

The gate itself would be about 12' wide by 6' high steel box (not
sure what thickness or section would be needed yet) and probably be
constructed to look like two 'gates' from the outside and the 'panels'
infilled on the outside by some suitable wood (floor grade T&G or
thinner cladding stuff over WBP ply for strength).

I could get the steelwork galvanised but it will probably look better
(and outlast me) if painted with some suitable stuff (chassis paint,
Hammerite etc)

So, that's the 'rough' plan.

Anyone done similar, any thoughts or reservations etc please?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I though it might be a good use of my new (cheapo) SDS drill with
a L O N G wood type bit to drill out the old post stub (just in drill
mode)? Can you get long (1m?) wood auger / bits at a reasonable price
please or should I carry on with my first plan ... Semtex?

I replaced the ramaining post about 6 years ago so I'm not sure how
easy that will be to get out?