Dr. Klahn wrote:
I have two Radio Shack 12-250 weather radios here. Both are functional
except that they don't trip on the weekly SAME test. I conclude that
the SAME decoder is not working in either, and needs to be realigned.

Have you tried reprogramming the SAME codes in them, or maybe
programming them for an adjacent county served by your NWS transmitter?

I was under the impression that the SAME data is transmitted with a
standard-ish modulation scheme, like Bell 103 or something. It seems
like they'd use a standard chip for this that would run off a crystal
and not have anything to "align", other than the crystal frequency.
Does the normal audio sound OK?

The Rat Shock parts list http://support.radioshack.com/parts//51031.htm
mentions a 10.240 MHz crystal (probably part of the tuner) and what
is probably a 4.0 MHz ceramic resonator, which probably drives whatever
microprocessor it has. If this resonator is off, I could see it working
well enough to respond to keypresses and drive the display, but not well
enough to understand the data stream.

Matt Roberds