Ken Grunke

Vince Way-Nee wrote:
I have turned for years with just glue blocks and face plates. I have
achieved good results but have reached the point where I'm thinking I will
succumb to the pressure and get a chuck. I turn primarily hollow forms both
in dry and wet woods. In the wet woods I'm looking for something to hold the
roughed out piece so that I can hog out the core to speed up the drying
process. The piece is then left to dry for a period of time with the
outside waxed. Once dry then I will remount it and finish it off. I have
always used the glue block method and have 15 to 20 pieces on the go at any
one time. I'm thinking a new chuck may assist. Any suggestions on your
favourites?

I bought the 3 1/2" Vicmarc in '98 and that's all I've had for a chuck.
If I were to use a scroll chuck for hollow forms longer than 8" I'd get
a larger chuck, with deeper jaws. I've gotten so used to the tommybar
tightening on mine, that I prefer it over the geared key arrangement. I
think Vicmarc still sells the old style.

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/