Dave

Now that is something I would not think of, since what you are really
saying is that you can make flat surfaces. If you are making a flat
surface how do you decide whether to use the lathe or the mill?

Carl Hoffmeyer wrote:
Make SQUARE things too. It oftens comes as a real shock
to non-metalworkers that you can TURN a perfect CUBE on a
lathe -- as long as you've got a four-jaw on it.

- Carl

"Dave" wrote:
wrote:
I found a 36 inch used metal lathe for sale for 350. What
would this be good for? I like working with metal. [...]

Making round things, with or without threads. Some people
make fittings, steam engines, brass cannons, telescope/camera
adapters...