Larry Jaques

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:09:11 GMT, the inscrutable Bruce L. Bergman
spake:

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:30:06 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 04:28:24 -0700, the inscrutable "Jon Danniken"
spake:

That was last week; this weekend I get to try and remove frozen bleeder
screws from my disc brake calipers; oh lucky me!

Got any R-12? (Totally non PC, and proud of it.) Freeze the screw,
heat the caliper body, and turn with a brake line wrench or 6-pt
socket.

Yeah, but at the price of R-12 nowadays you don't want to waste a
drop of it - and the price is only going to go in ^one^ ^direction^.
Use something cheaper, more benign and easier to get like CO2, R-22 or
R-134 for making with the freezing.

One wonders if it's now cost effective enough that the coyotes are
bringing in illegals with one pack worth of R-12 on one arm and a pack
full of illegal drugs on the other.

Try rocking or tapping the screw in both directions to break it
loose using a box wrench and a small hammer - mass quantities of force
applied on that little bitty bleeder screw are going to have bad
results, persuasion is called for.

IIRC, I've had only one freeze on me and a whack from my smallest Ford
hammer (directly on top) got it loose enough to break free with a line
wrench. Then again, I didn't live in corrosive snow country, either.

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==--
-Yoda, on a bad day
--
http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.