Eric R Snow

On 29 Apr 2005 12:08:18 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
says...

Oatey makes a teflon-filled dope in a squeeze tube that's not so messy as a
can and swab.

The stuff is the tits for hydraulic work, and any air work with
flow-limiting valves that might get gummed up with a loose hair of teflon
tape.

I've known this as "SWAK" which I think is a swagelock trade
name.

This having been said, I use teflon tape nearly exclusively,
never had any leaks. The key to not getting any sealant in the
flow is to keep the tape off of the first thread in the fitting.

Jim

Jim,
The first time I did gas piping using black iron pipe I was told to
use teflon tape. EVERY joint leaked, even though all were tightened
correctly. And none could be made leak free with further tightening.
After speaking to some who knew, I bought the teflon pipe dope. It
always works with black iron gas piping. Never had a leak since. But
on all the brass fittings it's teflon tape. Never had any clogs or
pieces of tape get into the inside.
Eric