Todd Clare

Default what to do with a cut down tree?

My friends had some tree work done and have a few large pieces of wood
that they saved aside for me (I JUST took up turning).

I'm not even sure what kind of wood it is, but practicing on even
not-so-great wood for free will be a great help for me to practice.

The pieces are limbs and trunk pieces, anywhere from 6" to nearly 2'
across, and anywhere from 1' to 4' long

I have some green wood sealer, which I know I need to do to prevent
checking. Here are mu questions:

- Do I need to remove the pith and split the pieces before coating and
storing them off? If I do (or do not) is there a change in the amount
of time the logs can sit without checking / cracking / (other bad
thing)-ing? I'd rather get the wood and deal with cutting it up once I
have enough skill to WANT to cut them up and make something. (haven't
done any green wood turning yet)

- I plan to pile the (logs / split logs, depending on the answer to
question 1) in my garage. I live in Houston, TX, so it's pretty hot and
VERY humid for the summer. Will they be okay in there, or is it better
to have them outside for some reason?

Any other good tips / references / links? I've read a lot about how to
split the logs, but I can't see to tell if I have to right now, or only
before I actually use them. (I also saw some examples of NON-split logs
being used (it was pine) for turnings where the center pith area
produced a bullseye on the side of the completed bowl... that's sort of
what prompted me to ask what I needed / should / could do with the wood.

Thanks!

-- Todd