George

"Arch" wrote in message
Just the musing of a COC who's mired in convention, but the handle may
be too short and the forged tang too weak for a large roughing gouge.
The edge seems quite broad for a spindle gouge and the part of the edge
useful as a skew seems narrow. For well over a hundred bucks do (did)
you get three good turning tools or three mediocre ones.

Well, the handle's as long as the roughers I use, the tang over twice the
thickness, and the bevel angle is probably about the same as my forged
gouge. So functionality is not a concern.

I'll bet it fears no overhang at that thickness, though I wonder if the
flat - remember the Hout "bowl skew (?)" might be a bit off my usual attack
angle.

I could adjust, I guess.