carl mciver

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
| Awl--
|
| I've been left in the lurch a few times by teflon tape on threaded joints,
| where I just couldn't get rid of air/water leaks--proly cuz of chinese
| fittings!
| I've seen plumbing fittings that go together like a nut on a bolt!

I've come to understand that the tape is not for sealing. It is to keep
the threads from corroding together and allow for removal. Having recently
taken a steel fitting out of an aluminum casting, still holding the aluminum
threads, it makes perfect sense.
I use hylomar or Indian Head shellac for sealing threads. No leaks yet.