Phil Addison

On 29 Apr 2005 10:59:58 GMT, in uk.d-i-y
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison writes:
On 29 Apr 2005 09:22:36 GMT, in uk.d-i-y

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison writes:
Blood:
- soak in biological washing powder in cold water (I think! not sure)
yes (probably). also if you just rinse it off before it dries it wont
stain in the first place.

Plain soap and water will work for a while even after it dries.
However, eventually the red blood cells break down releasing their
iron, and that's much harder to remove. The thought just occured
to me (although I've never tried it) that a rust remover such as
phosphoric acid might work once that's happened.

I can't recall what it is, but I thought there was a chemical that
removes rust stains. A reducer presumably; but that would leave iron
which you say is hard to remove.

Phosphoric acid removes rust -- I'm not sure what any stain might
look like afterwards (maybe a large hole;-). As I said, I haven't

Yes, but I was thinking of one that only removed the stain :-)

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me