Andy Hall

Default Joining CT100 satellite cable

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:12:45 GMT, (Lurch)
wrote:

Yep.

However........

What I am pretty sure that it won't do is to deliver a satellite
signal to more than one receiver in one place.

No more than a single LNB would under any 'normal' circumstances.

Right. The point that I was trying to get to so that people would not
be confused is that a simple distribution amp can't take a single LNB
signal and deliver it to N positions for simultaneous use of
receivers. The Loftbox picture almost gives that impression, but
obviously it's not technically possible.

This requires either a quad LNB or a quattro LNB with multiswitch.
Both of those require four cables (actually up to 4 with a quad) from
the LNB.

Yep, but then you'd need to bypass the loftbox therefore rendering it
as just a UHF distribution amp. Unless you combine the four signals
from the quad before the loftbox and back out again somewhere,
although by the time you've finished you might want to just design a
system from scratch without the loft box but use your own
splitters\filters etc.

This is basically what I did.

I wanted to have a fairly large number of outlets around the house for
TVs and VHF radio simply so that rooms can be rearranged without long
trailing leads. The shape of the house lends itself much more to
having a tree shaped cabling arrangement, so I created a headend for
UHF and VHF distribution in the loft. Cabling is run from there to
passive splitters at various locations and then sockets are cabled to
these. This head end has signal equalising filters etc. to give
equal results on all channels from two transmitters. There will be
between 20 and 30 outlets when it's finished.

I then wanted satellite distribution to a smaller number of outlets
where satellite receivers may be located. These have to be home run
cabled to a multiswitch in the loft.

For this, I have used a Spaun cascadeable multiswitch to provide for
inputs from two quattro satellite LNBs (one Astra, one Hotbird) and up
to 10 outlets.

http://www.spaun.de/html/sms_9941_nf.html

http://www.spaun.de/html/smk_9961_f.html

A DVB satellite receiver is able to select the LNB as well as the
polarisation/band through signals up the cable.

This switch can also take an input from the UHF/VHF headend, so I can
use a triplexing filter at the outlet, rather like the Loftbox does
and avoid a separate cable from the trunked system.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl