David

Pat I've had NO problem dyeing maple, using water based dyes, applied by
spraying. I'm confused by your post, since you both said spraying is
the choice of finishing, yet you say that maple won't accept dye. ??

Dave

Pat Barber wrote:

I believe you are looking at a "toner" compared to a
stain or dye. Maple is not going to accept much stain
or dye, so your next choice to cover the surface with
whatever color you need. Spraying is gonna be the choice
of finishing here.

read up:

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/eamaple.htm

Patrick Conroy wrote:

Any tips for darkening Hard Maple to an almost "Dard Fumed Oak" color
with analine dyes?

I've tried my Alcohol based Transtint and it still is splotchy. I
tried some water based JE Moser, no splotches but it looks so dead, so
*flat*. I combined the two and its a little better.

I'm going to try a Gel Stain over the dye tonight and see if that helps.

I haven't tried conditioner yet. I've got some, just haven't gotten
around to a test strip.
I sanded to 220 - should I have backed off to 120/150 or so?

I used Maple because that's what I had lying around. Had I know "she"
wanted it dark, I probably would'a picked something else.

Anyone have some tiplets(R) for coloring hard maple they can share?

Thanks!