BobS

Other have mentioned some important points you need to consider and I'll add
a couple. It depends on where you live (tornado alley or the northeast) but
some local codes require that hurricane straps and/or tie-downs be used in
the design to keep the shed from blowing away - good idea.

Although I live in upstate NY and the local code does not require these
items, I included them when I built mine. The materials probably cost an
extra $50 and a bit more labor but I believe it saved me a whole lot of
grief. The year after I built it, we had a freak storm go thru this area
(Syracuse, NY) on Sept 4 that killed several people at the Fairgrounds and
we had wind gusts in excess of 100 mph. That wind was broadside to the shed
and if it had not been secured, I'm sure it would have landed about in the
middle of our dining room.

Two other wooden sheds in the immediate neighborhood were turned to rubble
which were about the same size, so I have no doubt in my mind that the
hurricane straps (wall to roof joists) and the tie-downs (two cables run
thru the base and secured into two cement pilings anchored 3' down) saved
the day. The shed frame was put together using coated screws - not nails -
so when the wind did try to lift the roof, it was not about to pull some
nails out of headers and let it fly.

Overkill? I don't think so but others may disagree.

Bob S.

"Scottie" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a site that I could download the plans of how to build
a garden shed? Free if possible? Thanks for any advise.