George

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Very cool. I'd only ever seen the dumb head type before, which is what
I have. Do you ever find the throat limits you? It's not real often,
but I've occasionally used mine on wider boards, usually ones I've
split out. This one looks like it would grab the more usual spindles
more solidly than a dumb head type would, though. Do you know if that's
the case?

Since Lawrence is new, I can say that this type, which is often called a
"bodger's" bench, is the very best for spindles, spoon handles and such. I
keep a selection of top holds available for mine with various V cuts to help
hold larger and smaller diameters, cut as 1 1/2 x 3" pieces bored for the
bolt 1" in from an end, they allow me to grip various thicknesses within the
travel of the foot bar, without changing the angle of the hold.