Prometheus

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:46:38 -0500, Jeff Cooper
wrote:

Hax Planx wrote:
I'm wondering if you get more consistency with Appleply or real Baltic
birch. You know, the expensive stuff. I'm not surprised it would be a
problem with home center quality materials. But in their defense, these
materials are intended for construction, not precision woodworking.

It's been my experience with BB that the tolerances are very good.

I just experienced this problem a couple of weekends ago with a birch
veneer core plywood from Menards. I bought 4 sheets of 3/4" plywood
(from a stack that I had them open) and two of the four sheets were
24/32 and two were 23/32. I've never had this issue with BB (5x5 sheets).

You need to consider the source... If you're in the Eau Claire area
(and I have no idea just how far the Menard's epidemic extends,) try
Pigeon Creek Hardwoods on Hwy 12- cheaper than Menard's by at least
150%, and a whole lot higher quality. If you're in the Twin Cities,
try Youngblood's.

Menard's is nothing but trouble.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam