Ken Finney

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Awl--

I've been left in the lurch a few times by teflon tape on threaded joints,
where I just couldn't get rid of air/water leaks--proly cuz of chinese
fittings!
I've seen plumbing fittings that go together like a nut on a bolt!

OTOH, pro dope/thread, messy and crappy as it is, has always been
super-reliable, and in fact fixes the teflon problems.

Can you use pro-dope by itself, w/o thread? Ace, I think, makes a teflon
dope--messier than the Hercules trad'l dope.

What do people here use, and when? The bigger the pipe is, the more I

lean
toward prodope/thread. Smaller stuff, like 1/4", I'll much prefer

teflon.

Anything better than the Hercules pro dope?
What are people paying for teflon? A buck for the 1/2" rolls seems a bit
much.
HD: $1--and up. A local good hardware store (Schalls in Yonkers): 75c!!!

Thanks!

There are different grades of teflon tape. Once I started using the thick
pink
stuff (which is hard to find) instead of the thin white stuff, I stopped
having
leaks.